High altitude airborne wind energy isn’t yet common, nor is it easy to analyse. Thus it has been hard for organisations to commit to funding research. There is a new push for airborne wind energy research. Hopefully the results of this AWE scoring matrix can help to clarify the potential of problems and opportunities inherent in various approaches. AWE-decision-matrix
More tests showing that top nets connecting multiple tethered kites make for a more stable meta kite lift system.
You can now brew your very own cup of kite powered tea.
The instructables instructions will guide you.
It’s been too long since the last post sorry.
NEWS: I’ve been testing the newest Daisy model. Looks like it will spin a lot faster. Bit too easy to collapse though, so stiffening the lead ring should improve it.
When She spun, Daisy broke the crank connection on my bike / generator. It was misaligned so I’m changing to a front forks gimbal bracket design.
I’ve been to NZ to see Peter Lynn since I last wrote. He let me build his latest Single Skin Single Line lift kite. WOW Has it got power! I used it for the test which broke the crank.
The torque ladder transmission system is working well. I have added rings to cap the ends of the ladder. The rings have conical attachment lines to the tension line. This greatly improves alignment.
Photos and details of recent development are available on evernote open kite design notebook cc4.0
Enjoy the site for now. More soon.
I’m a fanboy of Falco emotors. Chatting with Rakesh by email… It seems they might have a perfect solution for my off the shelf project needs.
A generator which can adjust it’s characteristics dependant on the kite torque and battery charging needs. Cool.
A cool feature of falco emotors is the wireless communications for generation parameter monitoring and adjustment. This will be another feature to help me with the connected requirements of the hackaday prize entry
I’m looking to gather more quotes from parties involved in Daisy production… A more accurate idea of costing will help product release.
Do you sew kites? let me know.
Wow.pe are also expressing interest in developing Daisy. That’s pretty cool.
Not sure I understand what happened at the start of this test…
The setup was all a bit different. The driver kites had their 2mm spar mast rods removed. They also had a fore ward line added between the backside elastic link and the ring red panel tether. The whole ring setup was this time lifted directly inline with the lift kite so it was under a bit more tension. The back end was held by a mast on a hillock.
Launching the soft kites in the lee of the hillock just didn’t seem to work. At least 1 was always collapsed. The ring was also compressing out of shape even after being thrown carefully into clean wind. As a kite collapsed it would often deform the ring.
Time to re-stiffen the driver kites. I pushed the rods into the green sleeves first. Missed out the blue sleeve as It was looking a bit distressed. I used duct-tape to set the driver kite rods onto the ring. hint: 3 strips, stuck one on top of the other is easier and neater than trying to add strip after strip. It’s very hard to get a finger between the ring and the sail (without releasing ring tension, always been left on so far even for packing away)
Re-try. During the initial re-launch there was a moment where the ring collapsed. Braking the wheel and pulling the appropriate driver kite tether out snapped everything back into shape. Launch went well. A thin line dropped from the lift line was paid out fully to raise the ring ~5m above the sands.
Deformations on the ring were now more constant and not causing collapse. Video needs analysis still. To be posted soon.
Not convinced that the “fore ward line added between the backside elastic link and the ring red panel tether” (catchy title) made much positive contribution. It was originally set there for pure soft kite mode.
Convinced myself now that there may be a way to let the kites adjust themselves for rotation flight direction… e.g. so that they always fly near perpendicular to the ring, instead of too far inside (crushing) or outside (inflating) the ring. A possible solution where the kite is not sewn on but set with sweep balancing lines to the ring… Certainly the ability to adjust for sweep would be good. I could sew on a sweep tension strap between the kite cells and the ring. This is where I start to need a sewing team. Any offers?
Thank You Forever
Windswept and Interesting owes a debt of gratitude to the following people. You all helped, donated, advised, inspired, supported, supplied, pushed, pulled.
You've Been There! The project has done amazing things already and it's going so much further thanks to you.
THANK YOU ALL !!!
Gordon Old, Patrick Sherlock, Andrew Brightwell, Phil Owen, Iain Dobson, Baptiste Labat, Ferg and Alison, Kenny Morrison, Jane Mac, Sandy MacDonald, Night_cavalerie, Hazel Macleay, Jude Maxwell, Amrita Ahluwalia, Ben Sandeen, Alice & Patrick Read, Jude Watmough, The Tullochs, KB, My family, My kids and their pals, Local engineering shops like Ivor Murray and Gordon Diesels have been brilliant, All the AWES tech geeks openly discussing online, Eddie Weather, Local sailors and fisherdudes, Especially the Smith family, AWEC, AWEIA, ALI G, Roy D, UHI, Strathclyde Uni, TU Delft, Freiburg Uni, NASA, FAA, Leodsaich, All the windsurf, kite & nutter surf mates I "grew up" with and the elements... Thanks x